CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 23, 2010

vaccines

Well, I am learning that I shoudln't say that I will never do something because I keep adding things to my list of things I said I'd never do as a mother....now added to the list: questioning the vaccine schedule. It's a personal thing and I know can be quite controversial and so each person needs to do what they feel is best for their child. I have been getting Leah vaccinated at the rate that the doctors reccommend but have been reading about the high level of aluminum toxicity in the shots and may think about spreading the shots out a bit. She'd still get them all but just in less potent forms. I am most concerned about the MMR vaccine which is rec when she is 1. That is the one that a lot of people think contributes to autism (which may or may not be credible) I am looking into delaying that vaccine until she is at least 2. Given that she is a breastfed baby and probably will be until she is 18 months or so (we'll see about that but that's my present goal) tied with the fact that she's not in daycare, it is ok. Again, it's a personal choice and Julian and I will make the decision for what's best for Leah after careful thought and research and talking with Leah's doctor. Of course if anyone has actual research about the issue, I would be happy to read it. I just don't want people telling us what to do because it gets annoying. My parents did a great job of hearing me talk about it and said that they know we will do what's best for Leah. Of course if everyone doesn't vaccinate, then things could get bad in the US but we aren't considering NOT vaccinating...just delaying the schedule. There are books written about this and I have checked one out from Dr. Sears that has an alternative schedule that is supposed to be better for their little bodies.


Today my parents came from sacramento and had lunch with us. It was nice to see them, but Leah started crying everytime my dad looked at her. It was hilarious. I have no idea why she was so scared haha. My dad just cracked up. I think he scared her bc he laughed really loud when he saw how chubby she is getting and she got mad at him.

Leah is crying and needs to eat. Ok over and out.

2 comments:

Shannon Corbeil said...

Sam, I freak out about when to vaccinate Artemis. I don't envy your responsibility right now!! Keep your research...you should be making a binder of baby research--don't try to tell me you don't have time, I know all this about new infant sleep cycles and working and caring for a living human being is just made up...

(I love you)

Anonymous said...

Hey, just FYI: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704022804575041212437364420.html?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLESecondNews. In one family of my cousins, one boy has Aperger's and one has autism and their Mom said that she would 100% always vaccinate. I respect your decision to talk to your doctors about the vaccination schedule. There is a lot of research about vaccines out there and I'd be happy to provide you will any journal article you could possibly imagine (if you want to look up research on Google scholar, I can get you the article.) Herd immunity is very important for public health. I don't mean to give you advice or be preachy, I at least wanted to share that article so you won't be worried about the MMR shot. Hope you, Julian and Leah are well!